SHISH performs foreign intelligence and counterintelligence tasks, in the following main directions:
- Collects foreign intelligence that serves the national interests.
- Conducts counterintelligence activities for the protection of national integrity, independence and constitutional order.
- Collects intelligence on:
- Production and trafficking of narcotics.
- Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- Crimes against environment.
- Organized crime that affects national security etc.
Fields of activity of SHISH
SHISH conducts its intelligence work and operations, in accordance with the Constitution and the other national legal framework, based on Law No.8391, date 28.10.1998, “For the National Intelligence Service”, revised by Law No. 8479, date 29.04.1999. Its primary mission is the protection of national security, integrity, independence and constitutional order of the Republic of Albania. Prime Minister defines the AP of SHISH at the beginning of each calendar year. They provide guidance for planning and direction of the activities of the Service during the year.
- Law of SHISH
- NTIONAL Security Strategy
- AP of the Prime Minister
- Annual Work Plan of SHISH
- Inter institutional strategies
1. Foreign Intelligence activities consist of collection of intelligence on risks and threats from abroad, affecting national security, which may come in the forms of terrorism, attempts to overthrow the constitutional order, threats to national integrity and independence, organized crime, illegal trafficking, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, crimes against environment etc.
2. Counterintelligence activities consist of collection of intelligence on risks and threats identified inside the country, affecting national security, coming in forms of espionage, terrorist activities, attempts to overthrow the constitutional order, threats to national integrity and independence, organized crime, illegal trafficking, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, crimes against environment etc.
3. Analysis is the organized process of evaluating, processing, integrating information and data, coming from foreign intelligence and counterintelligence (from all sources), the preparation of final intelligence product for dissemination to high state authorities and law enforcement agencies.
SHISH uses the following methods to collect intelligence relevant to national security:
1. Human Intelligence (HUMINT)
Human intelligence consists of intelligence information, collected through interpersonal contacts with human assets. A wide range of information can be collected through this method, such as data, expertise and knowledge for certain fields.
2. Open Source Intelligence (OSINT)
Intelligence collected from publicly available data, both physical and electronic sources, such as: Daily media, press, periodicals, Internet, television, radio, different archives, publications and researches, publicly available official information, statistics, academic studies, registrars of state institutions and private entities, maps, sketches, notes, data bases, etc.
3. Technological Sources (TECHINT)
Technical Intelligence sources include information collected from electronic transmissions, communications between two or more people, via satellite and aerial photography, by quantitative and qualitative analysis of data and Internet.